Everyone knows his production is not trending in the right direction, that catchers don’t exactly improve at age 30 and that his health remains a concern. Those are the reasons you avoid McCann.
Here is why the Red Sox should consider him.
1) He doesn’t need to catch every day for them. He might not even need to catch at all within a season or two.
2) His health might improve as a result of catching less.
3) His hitting might improve - even back to his once-star levels - as a result of his health improving.
4) He is very likely a very good culture/personality fit with these group of Red Sox players, something that could also lead to better production.
5) The Red Sox have lots of money to spend.
6) There aren’t THAT many ways they can spend that money. “Overpays” here and there won’t do them in, not with the talent coming up through their system.